A beautiful and tasty fall and winter appetizer recipe.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Servings 48 appetizers
Keyword butternut squash appetizer, butternut squash spread
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SPREAD:
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 whole baguette, sliced into 48 thin slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- thyme and rosemary sprigs, for garnish
PREPARE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SPREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place the squash, cut side down, in a 13×9-inch baking dish. Add hot water to the dish to a depth of 1-inch. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the squash is tender. Remove the squash pulp and transfer to a bowl, discarding shells. Mash the pulp.
- Sauté the garlic in butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat until golden. Add the garlic to the squash pulp in the bowl. Add the cream cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, sugar, thyme and rosemary to the bowl; mash until blended. Stir in the pecans.
PREPARE THE BAGUETTE SLICES:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the baguette slices on 2 large ungreased baking sheets; brush or drizzle olive oil over the baguette slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 4 minutes. Sprinkle the baguette slices with the remaining 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake 2 more minutes or until the cheese melts.
ASSEMBLE THE APPETIZERS:
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the squash mixture onto each cheese crouton. Place on a serving tray, and garnish, if desired with an additional pinch of Parmesan and fresh herbs.
Serving: 1appetizer | Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 52mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 1015IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 0.4mg